Of all the Australian foods that I’ve enjoyed while living here for the past two years, by far the best is the iconic Australian biscuit, the Tim Tam.
I’m not a chocolate lover at all but I will make the exception for a Tim Tam.Tim Tams are cookies made of two chocolate biscuits, filled with a chocolate cream, and coated in chocolate. One in every two households in Australia have a pack of Tim Tams on hand, which translates to Australians consuming over 400 million biscuits each year. According to the manufacturer Arnott’s, the biscuits were named after a winning horse in the Kentucky Derby in 1958. It’s so Australiana that it’s probably part of the citizenship test.
No one really knows the origin of the slam, but it’s probably started by some bored kids (or adults, I don’t judge) playing with their food. The closest thing I can think of to a Canadian/North American version would be the Oreo dunk but even that’s stretching it. There’s really nothing like a Tim Tam and certainly the slam.
How to do the The Tim Tam Slam (aka the Tim Tam Suck, Tim Tam Explosion and Tim Tam Bomb)
- Get a Tim Tam. Any flavour will do but the purest in me will only do the slam with the original variety. My favourite non-slam Tim Tam is white chocolate. I don’t think it’s available in Canada yet, but here’s a list of retailers in Canada that sell the delicious original flavour biscuits).
- Get a cup of hot tea or coffee. You can also drink it with hot chocolate or Milo, which is malted beverage (Ovalatine is a good substitute) but make sure it’s hot.
- Bite off diagonal corners of the biscuit.
- Use those ends of the biscuit as a straw and suck up the hot liquid through the biscuit.
- Slam it! Once you can feel the liquid has made its way through the biscuit, slam that delicious biscuit in your mouth fast! You just tasted the best thing in your life, my friend. You’re welcome. You have to move quickly or the biscuit will start to disintegrate and then you’ve ruined it and will have to start over. It’s the most devastating thing in the world to drop a biscuit in your tea and spend the rest of the time fishing out the chunks.
Hate reading? Here’s a video on how to do the slam
Thank you Australia!